Themba Connect is a community development centre located in the small town of Adelaide in the Eastern Cape. The purpose of this centre is to equip and develop community members and facilitate opportunities, while improving lives.
WHY WE DO IT
In Adelaide, communities are highly focused on their individual needs not being met and often wait for the government or outsiders to solve their problems, instead of attempting to do so themselves. Themba Connect seeks to shift this paradigm, through an all-inclusive development project, that aims to: develop skills, build relationships and empower the community. This is our first project in the underdeveloped communities of the Eastern Cape. The model that Themba Connect runs on is known as asset-based community development (ABCD), focusing on the strengths and assets the community already have, as opposed to their known shortfalls.
HOW WE DO IT
- A large training classroom, open for hire to the community should they wish to use it for training purposes.
- A Computer Lab, open to the community to do research or type their CV’s. • A recycling collection facility, to provide local ECD centres with resources. • Sewing training room • Mobile Toy Library, for the local ECD centres.
We run a number of workshops and training courses which include:
- Sewing Training, which includes sessions that enable 15 women to create an income for themselves and their families.
- Business skills development which offers entrepreneurial business training and beginner’s computer courses.
- ECD support and development with educational equipment, training of practitioners and year end function assistance.