Located in the Helderberg and Stellenbosch districts of the Western Cape, Mama Themba offers supplemental education and support services to new mothers with incredibly limited resources.
WHY WE DO IT
Through proper pregnancy, birth and infant education, we aid in increasing new mother and baby health and wellness in the local community. Due to public clinics and hospitals often being overrun by a large number of patients, we offer our time to educate and support mothers towards cultivating healthy and thriving families.
HOW WE DO IT
- We work in partnership with the community, by providing our services at public hospitals and clinics.
We connect with new mothers on a direct and personal level by regularly visiting the maternity wards and welcoming their new babies.
Our volunteers personally deliver a care bag containing clothing, blankets and hygiene products to ensure that every new baby and their mother is cared for.
We care for women whose babies have to stay in the hospital for longer periods by providing loving support.
Our Project Manager’s mobile number is included in every Care Bag should any mother require any further assistance.
We host pregnant and breastfeeding support groups which advise mothers on the benefits of breastfeeding, as well as covering most antenatal and postnatal topics.
- We have 2 Peer Counsellors who cover 5 Clinics in their efforts to educate and support mothers.
Mama Themba is always in need of the following items for our Care Packs:
- Size 0 or 1 disposable nappies
- Gently used/new size 0 – 3 month baby clothing
- Knitted jerseys, caps and booties, size 0 – 3 month
- Baby blankets (polar fleece, knitted or crocheted)
- Sanitary pads / wet wipes / baby jelly
- Baby soap / baby lotions (50ml – 125ml sizes)